(Late) chemical reaction

And the question is rather simple: Why do you love Silvia Castro?

But I don’t seem to be able to describe it. I don’t think there’s a reason. I’m going to blame it on chemistry and that’ll be it. I love Silvia Castro because there is a chemical reaction in my brain provoked only by the sight of her. She doesn’t even have to talk. She is herself. And that’s my reason.

The character of Silvia and I have come a long way. I must admit I never paid too much attention to her in my early PepSi days because my first reaction was “Oh, she is HOT and so GAY!” when I saw Pepa on screen. I felt the PepaForce immediately, and that blocked me from seeing any further. I never had the chance to put my eyes on Silvia, because Pepa was all over me.

A couple of weeks later, I began seeing Silvia from a different perspective as I realised something: I am a Pepalogist (not a Pepaholic) for the wrong reasons. It is not that I am attracted to Pepa, it’s that I am like Pepa [And I know Piper would argue here that I’m still 24-to-go to be like-like her, LOL]. So it became quite evident to me that I was abducted by the PepaForce because I was indirectly attracted, chemically, to Silvia. Sounds like a funny argument, huh? I know, but it does total sense to me. Silvia is everything I am not – difficult, neurotic, scientist, innocent, high-pitched, feminine and a redhead. I am chemically in love with the character because she represents everything I’m not, and everything I pretty much look for in a woman unconsciously. Someone that would hunt me down to kick me ass around the house because I left the shampoo bottle opened or because I didn’t do the dishes.

Since I’ve been translating season 4 in the last few weeks, I had the chance to re-watch the early PepSi build up and I must admit I am a Silviaholic all the way. It’s a late realisation, but it’s an unavoidable chemical reaction. If it wasn’t because I have someone else’s picture in my wallet already, I could easily carry hers around – or maybe not, but she is definitely the perfect girl that we all Pepaish ladies around the globe would like to have, isn’t she?


Here’s a side-note confession: I got the problem that I am biased when watching Spanish shows because I know the actors. Marian Aguilera, like Pepón Nieto, Hugo Silvia, etc... are or were well-known actors before LHDP, whereas Laura Sánchez wasn’t. So the international community saw Silvia, and that was their first contact with the actress, but for me, Silvia was the one interpreted by the actress who had played the rich brat in Al salir de clase, the rich bitch in Esencia de poder and the rich weirdo in El inquilino [Funny how she’s always playing a rich character hehe]. Sometimes your brain cannot process the difference, and it’s hard for you to separate the actor from the show – as for example, when you see Matthew Perry in The Whole Nine Yards but you keep calling him Chandler. So Silvia, for us, the young Spaniards who grew up watching Al salir de clase every afternoon, was Miriam – the rich bitchy brat. It took me a loooong time to get rid of that perception, of that mental prejudice and start seeing Silvia the way I was supposed to see her. And I should apologize :)

Log: And this is random, but I love the fact that Silvia is interpreted by Marian Aguilera, an actress that was born in a place 20 miles north from where I was born and that is a sweet Catalan speaker. Like I’m sure many Spaniards from the south love the fact that Pepa shares their accent. It’s something stupid but that makes me like her even more.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know my character's more like Pepa than Silvia. I'm funny, strong, hot-headed and optimistic. so when I watch Los Hombres de Paco at the first time I like Pepa so much and I think I'm Pepalogist. but then when Silvia dies. I realize Silvia's girl in my dream. I watch again. how she smiles, how she cries, how she loves. I realize I'm totally fall in love with her. I cry when she's upset, I smile when she's happy. and I never want to watch the next season even it has pepa in it cuz it's without silvia. without Silvia, no more to watch I feel empty in my heart. and now I become Silviaholic. that's my story

Dr. Pied Piper said...

Yes, you have a long way to go before you reach Pepa's record of 40 women. But it seems that your dream to find your own Silvia could be coming true with #16 going to Med school and might be soon wearing her very own lab coat.

Anonymous said...

Q18: Great lecture. I hope you find your Silvia. :)

ilovepepsi said...

I love Silvia, nothing else to say. I like Pepa a lot but I don' t love her. Weird. Same for the actresses, love Marian, like Laura, a lot but it's like not love. Chemical reaction through a screen indeed. I went out of my way to meet Marian, I doubt I would have done it to meet Laura. I can't explain it, it is what it is, but I love them together, they are awesome together.

ilovepepsi said...

Still feeling the same, waiting for the day Silvia/Marian are not significant. But I have 3 photos of Marian' s on my nightstand and it' s the first things I look at when I wake up. OK. I need to get a life, maybe I need a love of my own as well.

ilovepepsi said...

I guess knowing Marian as an actress before Silvia could blind one to Silvia and Marian awesomeness up to a point. Cher was this singer in Sonny and Cher YET, she blew everybody apart and won an Oscar in Moonlighting.

Unknown said...

I have given up on explaining my love for Silvia. It is what it is.

Post a Comment

 
PepSi University | TNB