How I Met Marian / 19 Feb 2010

The theatre, Club Capitol, where Mi Primera Vez is playing, is along Las Ramblas, the most famous promenade in Barcelona.  It's near the Placa Catalunya end, and our hotel was only 2 blocks away. 

The Gifts
Gray long sleeve Boston College shirt, ordered from the bookstore


A pink I *heart* NY shirt, bought at the airport


Chocolates: premium M&Ms and Ghirardelli (from Target)


Cigarettes: Carton of Gold Marlboro Lights from the airport duty free

Bag of Halls Naturals Honey flavor, bought at the airport


And a card that says: "In Gratitude, For sharing your time and talent", signed "Dr. Piper, Staff, and Students of Pepsi University"

Before the play:
We arrived at Club Capitol a half hour before the start time of 2100 hrs.  All the stuff were in a nice green gift bag (again, from Target).  I asked the person at the drink counter if we could leave the gift for Marian and she directed us to the ushers, 2 very nice young women (one whose name is Prajna).  I had a shot of vodka from the bar before we approached the nice usherettes.  We told them that we are from the US and we just wanted to leave the gift bag but they said to just wait after the play because Marian is very nice.  Prajna even went to the dressing room to tell Marian that 2 American weirdo fans were there.  When we were already seated, another lady, probably the stage manager or something, approached us and asked us to wait for Marian after the play.

After the play:
So we waited right outside the dressing room door, and we were the only 2 standing there.  Bart, Fran, and Inma all came out and smiled at us.  And then... the door opened and Marian walked out, smiling at us.
Us:  Hola, Marian!
MA: Hola!
Us: Hablas ingles?
MA: A little
Actually, her English was really good.  We told her that we are from the US and brought her something.  I also said, like the dork that I am, that I've never done this before (i.e., approach a celebrity).  She said she loves receiving gifts, and she really went through the gift bag like a little kid on Christmas morning. 

On the BC Shirt: She said it's very soft and she would want to wear it the following day.  I forgot to remind her that eagles (BC mascot, printed on the shirt sleeve) means aguila in Spanish, which her last name Aguilera was probably derived from
On the I *heart* NY shirt: She doesn't have that one yet.  She said she was in NY "a long time ago, when she was 17" - which would make it 1994/95.  Hey, I still lived in NYC during those years... maybe we already met.
On the cigarettes: We asked her if it's the right brand, and she said yes.  But she said she's trying to quit, so we told her to share it with her friends.
On the chocolates: She said she loves chocolates (rather excitedly).  We said that chocolates in Barcelona are better (really) but we wanted to get her something American.  She said she'd never heard of Ghirardelli, so we explained to her that it's a famous chocolate from San Francisco.  She said she's been to SF and she really liked it.
On the Halls cough drops: She looked at it with a WTF? face (but nicely), and we told her it's for her cold.

Marian on the missed gift
I told her that I wanted to get her a bottle of wine from Napa, California.  She said "Asi?" and looked really excited, and then looked disappointed when I told her that we couldn't find any at the duty free. Next time, Marian. 

Marian On Barcelona
We told her we love Barcelona and we've been there several times, and we like it better than Madrid.  I told her that my wallet was stolen in Madrid, and she told us to be careful around Barcelona too.  I told her that we were there May 2009 when FCB won the UEFA cup, and she didn't understand, so I said futbol.  And she said "Ah, Barca!" She said she and her entire family love the home team.  She also said that she's from a town about half an hour from the city, not a barrio, but a beach town.  (Like I didn't know!) 

Marian on LHDP
GF told her that she watched LHDP before I did.  And she got me hooked when Silvia flipped Pepa the finger.  I did a reenactment of that famous scene.  She laughed.

Marian On the play
She said she liked doing the play because it's fun and different.

Marian on her new 'do
GF commented on her new hairstyle.  She said she's not sure yet whether she would keep it as is or not, because it's harder to maintain.  She also said that there's just so much more one could do with long hair.

Marian on her international fans
We asked her if she's aware how many international fans she has, and she answered in the affirmative.  She said that she's been meaning to write a long letter expressing her gratitude, but she hasn't had the time. 

Marian on her call to Booker
I had another phone with a Spanish SIM card, and I told her it's my friend's birthday and she's a really big fan, and if she could wish her a happy birthday.  She said she's really shy, but okay.  So I dialed, the answering machine was on, so we left a message.  She was smiling all throughout the 15-second phone call.  Booker, you owe me 1.90Euros.

How I touched Marian's hair
There's a part in the play where confetti was used to simulate rain.  There was a confetti or 2 still sticking out her hair, so I very innocently brushed it away.  Really very innnocently.  I promise.

And then I tried to take a video of her greeting her American fans with my BBerry, but I forgot how to do it.  I did dorkily tell her that I'm so nervous.  So she said we could take the video tomorrow, since I was going back with Nika Chika.  I then took pictures of her and GF.

And then she said it's really very nice meeting us, she gave each of us a hug and 2 kisses (the Spanish dos besos), and we said "Encantada tambien".  She smelled really nicely.

So that's it for that 1st meeting.  I was sober, I was relatively normal.  And she was magical.  She really was.  Gracias, Marian!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jess: My heart fluttered reading all of that, Dr. P... What a nice encounter and what a sweet woman... Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

This is why we all fell in love with MA, thanks for sharing Dr. Piper!

Anonymous said...

*Awww forever*
That's a thoroughly CUTE story. Congrats on your adventures and thanks for sharing them with the students, Dr. P.

~austell

Dr. Booker said...

I love this story. And to have this goddess of a woman call my home, and laugh and say my name...well, it doesn't get much better than that. I guess it would be touching her hair.

Piper, I have sent you something better than euros. Put on the Depends and be prepared.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet encounter of You and Marian, Dr. P. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Anonymous said...

She seems like such a sweet and gracious woman.
Thank you for sharing your experiences with the rest of us.
I wish i could have been there to get my dos besos from the beautiful Marian.

daydreamerz37

Anonymous said...

Sweet MA

Anonymous said...

What a sweet woman! I love MA!

Anonymous said...

That's my Silvie,my peliroja, OMG!!!

Stephanie said...

What an awesome meeting. MA is a class act! Thanks for sharing Dr. P--you are a brave woman. You didn't say what you thought of the play...

Anonymous said...

OMG .. I am sooooo jealous ... Thank You for sharing this awsome experience ... I would have been in AWE ." SO Speechless " .. Marian , is so cute ..I have seen her in other interviews on Spanish TV and She really is shy ..
I Love Her Smile .. someone needs to make some
" Pepa Y Silvia " T-Shirts .. I have a " Pepa <3 Silvia " Tattoo... hopefully one day I will be Lucky enough and meet them ...

Anonymous said...

i love her, i love marian...if only i could migrate to spain

Anonymous said...

Really one sweet woman...MA...love you!

ilovepepsi said...

I also met her, as a newbie Silvia( more than a Pepsi fan by nanosecond) one year obssesing about how great she is acting her ass off as Silvia-- making it look so easy I m sure it was hard work. Anyway I met Marian outside of BURUNDANGA play in Madrid, had no gift for her, thouht about it but could not think of anything proper. She was gracious, smiling and soomehow shy . I can' t remember what she said, other than si, si ( to taking pictures) I have to take my scarf off for the pics. N flash?

ilovepepsi said...

Yeah, I think that' s all she said, really soft spoken, and I was nervious and cold, a cold Madrid night. She did say No flash? Because there was no flash, her friend co-actress took the pic, actually 3 but only one came out good, not blurry and good light, no need to use flash, I told her. I speak Spanish but not Castilian or catalan but she wasn't curious about my accent to ask me anything. I think it was about 1-2 tops, minutes. Since I was nervious, I am shy and not very talkative, in the pic I am grabbing her arm, not touching skin due to winter coat, wouldn't dare touch her hair!, in a pony tail anyway. I think I grabbed her hand in both mine and the 2 spanish style kisses too. Very sweet, smelt so nice too. So happy to have this memory. Oh, then she turned rather quickly ( I think her friend was gesturing her : let's go!), I had eyes only for her, but then...oh, I walked up to her and said: IF you see Laura tell her that she is also loved verh much. That's when she realized, I think, it still Silvia and Pepa fandom because I noticed she seemed to be thinking and then she turned her head towards me and said: thank you very much for all the support. OMG, she THANKED ME! Virgen del camino seco!
And curiosity sake, there was a long line of theater going people on the sidewalk next to us but nobody seemed to recognize her, of course we were very quiet and normal, like when she got out looking around with curiosity in her eyes, one of the girls ushers was my accomplice, the one who made possible, so it seems she knew somebody waiting outside to see her. Well, that is my Marian story. I love it and love her so much.

Post a Comment

 
PepSi University | TNB