THE BOOMERANG OF LOVE

Do you believe that Pepa will and can fall in love again? Was the love between Pepa and Silvia so strong and unique that it would be better if A. Pepa never loved again, or B. Pepa had died with Silvia.

This debate about the future of Pepa and her love life, is a valid one. It asks the question: is there a second chance at love? Do you have the right, after death, divorce or a break up, to fall in love again? And if you fall in love again, does that then negate the earlier relationship?

Here at Pepsi University, people know two things about me (and yes, some know even more!): I am a romantic and a major fan of Silvia Castro. The death of Silvia was devastating to me and even the knowledge that she was a fictional character, did not diminish the pain. I, like so many others, believed that Pepa and Silvia would be together forever. The idea of either woman being involved with someone else was absolutely ridiculous to me.

It has been six months since Silvia's death and it is appropriate to wonder about Pepa's future. She obviously needs to grieve her tremendous loss and to seek revenge. What happens when El Gordo and his evil army are taken care of? Pepa goes back to work, she sits on a bar stool, and then what? Do we want her to lead a sad, empty and possibly angry life? Or do we want to see the smile that lit up our hearts and the city of Madrid?

I believe in love. I believe in being in love. I believe that falling in love is one of the best feelings in the world. To find someone who loves you as much as you love them, is a wonderful gift.

To have moments when not a word is spoken, and yet all is understood. To hold the hand of the woman you love, and truly believe that all is well in the world. And to be part of a couple...sharing the jokes, comforting each other, kissing a thousand sweet kisses, and then to know that at the end of the day you will be in each other's arms...that is love.

How can we deny Pepa another chance at love? The second relationship will not be like the first--mainly because the partners have changed. Pepa is a little older and hopefully, a little wiser. Just because Pepa moves on, does not mean she has forgotten Silvia . It is because of Silvia that she loves again. She knows the power of love and she aches to have it again. She will fall in love because she will not be able to resist the unstoppable force. I don't know when it will happen, but it will happen.

Imagine this scene...Pepa is at Cachi's and is sitting at the bar, drinking her first beer of the night. A woman walks in who Pepa has never seen before. Pepa feels something and she is not sure what it is. Something comes over her body..an intake of breath, a fluttering in her heart, or her knees go weak...something stirs in Pepa and she knows one thing for sure: she has to meet this woman. The woman sits at a table by herself and Pepa has no idea if she is waiting for someone. All the boldness and bravado of being Pepa has escaped and she just sits on the bar stool...waiting. The woman is looking through her purse and she drops her keys. Before the woman has a chance of pick them up, Pepa is there. She picks up the keys and puts out her hand and says "Hola".

The Pepa we know is back. She is stepping away from sadness, fear and anger. It has begun.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I agree that somehow, someday Pepa has to move on....
BUT, I don't want it too soon. I want too see how she cope with the loss...I mean, she just lost the LOVE of HER LIFE! The girl that she's been dreaming about since she was a teenager, the one she wasn't sure she could have, and after many obstacles they finally can be together, united in marriage. Suddenly her princess was shot, taken away from her very messily, although she tried her very best to save her.
THAT will take quite some time for her to move on, if she could overcome the trauma of having her beloved wife died in her arms, that is.

Dr. Pied Piper said...

You wrote:
I believe in love. I believe in being in love. I believe that falling in love is one of the best feelings in the world. To find someone who loves you as much as you love them, is a wonderful gift.


Well, Booker, I believe that those things exist but they are very temporary. The only love that prevails goes WAY BEYOND infatuation and emotional highs (and lows). The 2nd reading @ mass yesterday was exactly the kind of love that is so great that St. Paul declared it so (sexist misogynist that he was). So yes, Pepa would love again. We all would. It's in our DNA. I'm not sure what she and Silvia had was THAT special as the writers would want us to believe. It was a good relationship, yes. But eternal?

People fall in love because they need to fall in love. As I said, it's like a drug. But at the same time, people grieve because they want to grieve. Why? Because that's one way of holding on. But in the end, both feelings would level off. No one could be that in love, and no one could be that grief stricken. (Of course there are exceptions, and they usually take some medication)

The passage of time reveals what cupid refuses to show us.

People who are all into falling and being in love are in for a big disappointment when one day they wake up and the butterflies are gone and the moonbeams have faded. Because it will happen. Not if, but when. Does that mean the high overrules anything else? What's the difference between being "in love" and "being stoned" then?

Pepa will move on, she has to. It's human nature.

Thanks for the lecture.

Dr. Booker said...

Dr Piper, I agree with many of your points, surprisingly, but I want to make one thing clear:
if I had the choice of spending the night with the woman I love OR spending the night smoking the best joint ever made, I will choose the woman. The woman. That is the difference between being in love and being stoned. I think my high will last longer than the stoned high. Plus, I will only crave her more and not the munchies!

Anonymous said...

I agree w/ Dr. Booker it's NOT the high its the woman you crave. Her touch, her kisses, her scent, her whispers of affection, her humor, her her her......

Junebuggy1757 said...

Great lecture Booky poo, truly. Though my comment is not as intelligent as the rest on here, I still wanted to leave one. xD So, yeah, great lecture and I hope Pepa moves on... but not immediately of course.

As far as love goes... I'm agreeing with Piper. *nods*

Anonymous said...

love is like air you can't breath without it. but you can't hold it you can't see it you just feel it. everytime I break up I think I'm never fall in love again but then I still meet a girl who make my heart beat fast again. so love never die though your heart's stoned. I believe Pepa will love again maybe a girl looks like Silvia (Sorry I still love pepa and Silvia and can't accept another woman. maybe one day but now I say "no")

Cela said...

I'm with Dr. P. on this one.

The process of falling in love is addictive because of all those happy brain chemicals going all hyperactive on you. Just like with a drug. And just like with a drug, the high is temporary...and they both can be great experiences or they can have nasty side-effects and do long-term damage.

Will Pepa move on? If she doesn't get mowed down by bullets at an unfortunately early age, then yes, she eventually will move on.

Do I want to see it on the show? No, I don't. I don't think the show is going to go far enough into the future to make me feel as though she's had enough time to grieve and really pull herself back together. And I'm not just talking about dealing with the loss of a love...I'm talking about dealing with the horribly TRAUMATIC way she lost a love. They didn't just break up...Silvia died in her arms on their wedding day! I just don't think you get over that in six months, or a year...or two years!

Does she deserve the chance to love again? Of course. Nobody should be robbed of a chance at love...no matter how overrated that love may be.

Does a new love negate her love with Silvia? Of course not. I would be happy to know that Pepa EVENTUALLY finds love again, but I don't need to see it on the show. If at the end of the series' run, they do some montage-like thing to show where each character ends up...how they lives turn out...and we see that Pepa does find happiness again (with or without someone), I would be happy with that! But that's it.

Basically, I don't want to see Pepa moving on and finding happiness with another women while I'M still mourning Silvia. I'm selfish like that. :-)

(Oh, and I would choose the joint.)

Unknown said...

I enjoyed your lecture, Booker.

I agree with what you said about the fact that if Pepa loves again, it will be because of Silvia. I think they taught each other much about love and accepting themselves and each other.

I have never understood why what people want more out of life is happiness. People worth their salt just want those they love to be happy. Why? Happiness is utterly transient. It is a fleeting emotion, a high if you will, that quickly withers and dies. It's riding the crest and low of a 20' wave, and never being able to maintain a platuea of that bursting, frothing feeling of emotional goodness.

"Falling in Love" is the exact same thing. I actually really hate the phrase and have stopped using it whenever possible. It is an emotion, however fleeting that lasts for a few weeks, months: an emototional tumult of feelings that never stay the same. It will disappear, it always does, you can't hold on to it.

When that feeling finally takes its leave, what are you left with? Hopefully, you have learned to love the one you are with, accepted the fact that they are imperfect like you, and they do not complete you; but make your life more beautiful. When that high of falling in love is gone, hopefully you have already built a foundation of trust and respect to build from together.

Happiness and falling in love are so elusive, water running through your fingers. But Joy, joy is the standard of gold, the knowledge and acceptance that while the world is dark and chaotic the light shines through if you make it. Love is that constant, it is the mortgage, and feeding the dog, and shoveling snow at 5am, and children, and broken cars, and getting up every morning with the same person: bad hair, bad breathe and all, and falling asleep at night with the knowledge that you would do it all over again, because you can, and you will. Simplified no doubt.

-- Africa

ilovepepsi said...

What about " settling"? Going through life never meeting anybody with whom to fall in love with. Remember Lola saying is more important to love than to be loved? And it is true. I think young people like each other and sex kicks in, but love? Why there are so many divorces and breaks up? I did a little experiment: a fanfic where Pepsi breaks up, had a fight and separate. I had in mind Pepa beating it but it turned out Silvia asked Pepa to get the fuck out! But, it didn t last. Against my own intention, they got back together after a few months, and it was THAT LOVE. THAT LOVE is what keeps us addicted. To PEPSI.

ilovepepsi said...

BTW, Pepa's alterego Laura Sanchez who met her boyfriend around the same time Pepa gave Silvia the look when doing the autopsy, are STILL together, calling themselves ascanciosanchez ¿? So without the killing bullet, PEPSI would still be PEPSI.

Post a Comment

 
PepSi University | TNB