CLUB YARA

It was my senior year of high school, I was 18 years old, and a group of us were hanging out at one house where most of us were drinking. When it was about time to head to our respective homes, a few of my friends weren't quite ready to call it a night, so we decided to call my parents to ask if three of them (2 guys and 1 girl, my best friend) could spend the night. My parents were cool with letting guys stay over and all that jazz...but, my sister had already invited three of her girlfriends to sleepover! So, after a bit of haggling and outright begging, my parents agreed to let them all stay at our place for the night.

And so, the night of "Club Yara" was born. (Factoid: Yara, rhyming with the Spanish pronunciation of Sara, is my first name.)

The night was filled with much merry-making - dancing, laughing, and I admit that most of us were under the influence of three various substances. Suffice it to say, we got pretty trashed. My memory of the night gets a bit hazy half-way through, but I clearly remember seeing my best friend start making out with one of my guy friends. They had dated years before, and I knew she still carried a torch for him. This was just a taaad bit upsetting to me, because by that time, I had already come to the realization that I had more-than-friendly feelings for her (I was already out of the closet...it just took me a bit longer to accept what I was specifically feeling for her). I went to lay down on the twin bed on the other side of the room, wanting to get away from seeing what was happening.

Eventually, though, she ended up coming over to me, climbing up on the bed, and laying down on top of me to talk. I can't for the life of me remember what the hell we talked about, but I do remember that Tool was playing on the stereo. Then, somehow, someway, we started kissing. From what I can recall, it was actually quite lovely...until I heard a voice in the distance: "Aww, they're kissing!". It was my sister's voice, so we pulled away, turned to look, and yes, we had a rapt audience. We continued kissing anyway.

I can't remember just how the kissing came to an end, but I know it eventually did, and we went back to drinking and dancing with the rest of the gang before finally crashing as the sun started to come up, concluding the night.

"Club Yara" and the kiss it engendered...my first kiss, not just with a girl, but my first kiss at all...was a thrillingly strange experience indeed. I just wish I could remember it better. :-)

2 comments:

Dr. Pied Piper said...

Awww... that's awfully sweet. Your parents must be mighty cool to let you and your sister have sleepovers. With guys even! I only had sleepovers with my bestest boy cousin - who's gay (but we didn't it know it then).

So what happened to BFF after the kiss? Was it a drunken kiss, or did you actually become an item? How awkward was it the next day?

Thanks for sharing.

Cela said...

Weelll...I think my parents were just happy to have us at home where they naively thought nothing was going on. One of the guys was dating girls at the time, but he ended up coming out during college. The other one, surprisingly enough the one my best friend dated and kissed that night, WAS gay. He would just mess around with girls, too, every now and then. (These were very confusing times.)

The kiss was beyond drunken...but things actually weren't awkward the next day. She had already made out with more girls than I probably will in my life, but we definitely did not become an item. We ended up making out on two later occasions before things got reeeaallly messed up between us, and she left it up to me to choose whether we should remain friends or not. I chose not.

Anyway, she's now a happily married attorney, and I live with two cats.

Yay for happy endings! :P

Post a Comment

 
PepSi University | TNB