That's Entertainment

I’ve been thinking for some time now about how to sum up what PepSi’s meant to me, and I realized that first I’d have to figure out why it’s meant so much to me. It’s something that’s difficult to pare down; there are just so many good things about the PepSi storyline that I and others have discussed at length before – the wonderful actresses and their chemistry, the way their relationship was handled like any other relationship on the show, the passion and playfulness that was written and acted into each of their scenes…and did I mention the wonderful actresses and their chemistry? Outside of the show itself, there’s also been the awesome recognition that I wasn’t the only one so affected, that there are hundreds of other people – off all genders and sexuality - who were also touched by PepSi’s love story. It’s amazing to see and be a part of something that’s brought people together in a way that they would have never connected before.

I’ve personally never been overtly involved in a fandom before, and I owe it to PepSi for bringing me out of lurkdom…and it’s been a great ride since I first stepped out of the shadows. I’ve gotten to discuss, converse, and interact with people from different parts of the world – people from cities and countries that I’ve never known anyone from before. I’ve even started to contribute in my own creative way, writing my own fanfic, which is something I never thought I would do. I’ve realized that I don’t have to be a professional writer to write…I enjoy doing it, and that’s what matters most, so I hope I continue to do so for some time. Of course, I have PepSi to thank for giving me this productive outlet…and speaking of thanking PepSi for things, I also have to give this whole PepSi phenomenon thanks for helping me to improve my Spanish. Seriously. And my parents are thankful for it, too.

But after all this lofty exposition, I think what I concluded was that primarily, to me, PepSi was pure, satisfying entertainment. It was just fun to watch. It had been a long time since I had last been so engaged in a tv show, waiting with such eagerness and building enthusiasm to see what happened in the next episode. And I’ll never forget all those hours I spent in front of the computer, getting sucked into Pepa’s and Silvia’s relationship, smiling like a giant, sappy goober during their romantic scenes…or getting all worked up into a tizzy when things weren’t going well for them. I’ll never forget rushing to work the day after the Garage Frisking scene to send some of my friends links to the videoclip and forcing them to watch it just so I could gush over how magnificently sexy and sweet it all was (and lament the fact that American tv had not offered anything that was justifiably equivalent in super fantastic-ness). And that’s basically it. First and foremost, PepSi was an enjoyable story, for various reasons, on a quirky Spanish tv show…and I laughed, and I cried (boy, did I cry), and I’ll never forget how much Pepa and Silvia made me feel.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

it REALLY is hard to put into word exactly what is was about PepSi that sparkled. Was it the actresses or the chemistry they shared? Or was it in the way that their love story was handled? Could it be the fantastic fans & the unity it created amongst them. Ummm whatever it Be that attracted me to PepSi also was good enough to keep me attracted. Thanx to all those of you who took time to translate,make videos, write lectures,update,& dicuss ALL THINGS PepSi.

booker said...

Thank you, Cela. You did a great job reminding us about how and why we loved the show...and yes, the chemistry.
I remember the buzz about the garage scene...viewers were in a frenzy all over the world... and the true Pepsi fans had to keep watching again and again.

Anonymous said...

Yep, total agreement. There is not a friend of mine, male or female, gay or straight, who, on being shown the PepSi clips on YouTube hasn't been floored by the characters and their sweet relationship. Marian and Laura's on-screen chemistry was just out of this world. They made mediocre and cheesy material *shine*.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
tiddlyfratz said...

Thanks for putting into words exactly how I feel about the whole PepSi storyline. Also thanks to everyone who made it possible for me to understand with the sub-titles, updates and commentary and all. My Spanish has improved as well.

kalike said...

Word. No seriously, you're absolutely right - PepSi was good entertainment.

Dr. Pied Piper said...

And not only did PepSi bring you out of lurkdom... it brought you out with a ticker parade, great fanfare, a key to the city, PepSi University Faculty position, your very own NYSE symbol...

Thank you for sharing this with us.

ilovepepsi said...

I don' t think the fans have much to do. I discovered LHDP and PEPSI exactly 14 months ago- their time together at the break- fans, this blog has been dormant but yt clips are still watched. It' s a great show and maybe it' s better this way, nostalgia better than tired of these bs reaction. But when I see HOMICIDIOS, I wonder WHAT was Marian thinking? A great character and assambled fantastic cast... sometimes I think THEY wanted to go with that mess S9 but somehow Dra Castro didn' t fit, I think they wanted her out of the way, same as Adriana LOLA, wonderful character. They got what they deserved, the audience left.

ilovepepsi said...

I saw Carol the movie yesterday and I couldn' t avoid comparing Carol to Pepsi. I mean, Cate Blanchett! The actress. And I realize what is about Pepsi that shines: love, true love. They were able to show love without saying I love you every minute, no need, it is there.

Post a Comment

 
PepSi University | TNB